Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Temptation of A Wife

I am so scared of Korean series ... they are addictive ... in the past I have never had this problem because I just don't watch Chinese series or movies because I do not want to be caught in the "I don't understand mode" when the whole room or cinema is laughing their heads off .... I do recall such an incident way back in Cathay cinema of Simpang Ampat on CNY .... many many moons ago.

Anyway, my latest series that I am hooked to is Temptation of a Wife (129 series). I have to confess I stayed up 2 sessions till 430am to complete the show... something that I am not very proud of ....

Anyway .. the series is center around the drama of how a husband attempted to drown his pregnant wife in order to marry his lover. The wife did not die but came back to take maximum revenge of the husband, the lover and the in laws. There are many things to unpack ... many issues that we can discuss but I will just highlight a few :

a) The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jer 17:9)

The plot is complicated where everyone in the series in related and inter-related one another .... The story exposes the power of human nature - greed, selfishness, lust, covetousness, anger, bitterness, hatred, deceitfulness ... the lure of power, money and sex .... the list goes on .... Though its just a drama ... but it is a raw truth of mankind. Yes, man indeed are fallen creatures who needs Jesus to cleanse and forgive our sins and give us a new heart, a new clean heart to live godly Christ-centered lives, even after we asked Jesus to come into our hearts and to forgive us of our sins. This struggle is ongoing and it is a process. We have to make a conscious afford to choose how do we want to live and whom our heart will want to follow .....

b) Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. (Gal 6:7)

I echo the words of the author of Ecclesiastes that there is nothing new under the sun and hence is also a strong believer of the principle of sowing and reaping. This is my explanation the the patterns I see in my own life, people's life and trends in the family ... and sometimes, don't you think that life is a vicious cycle ... and we are going round and round ... when our lives is not rooted and focused on Christ?

Proverbs has many says on this principle : "The wicked man earns deceptive wages, but he who sows righteousness reaps a sure reward." (Prov 11:18). "He who sows wickedness reaps trouble, and the rod of his fury will be destroyed." (Prov 22:8).

Numbers and Deuteronomy speaks of our God is a jealous God and a God who is abounding in love and compassion. We cannot only take that our God is abounding in love, but God is equally serious in visiting our offspring for our unconfess sins.

"You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments." (Deut. 5: 9-10)

"Now may the Lord's strength be displayed, just as you have declared: 'The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation." (Num 14:17-18)

Even Mom knows this principle --- and for this reason, Mom always tell us that in those matchmaking days, people will normally inquire of a person's background to the third generation.

So, let's live right before God and before men .... for the sake of our souls and the sake of our offspring! Let our hearts belong to Jesus and Jesus alone!

No comments: