Sunday, April 4, 2010

Overnite Cycling

Jeanne asked me over dinner last night: "Why need to cycle overnight .... can't u start early..."

Aaahhh ... you see, I did start early ... I left TTC at 515pm to catch 67 to Geylang. It takes me 1hr to reach church because it is evening and the bus and road is jammed.

Met the YAF members in church at 630pm. We had light dinner before we board 40 to Katong. From Katong, we walked through shopping malls cross streets to get to East Coast -- ask me how to do it ... hahha .... I dono ... but it was at least 15minutes of walk which is good warm up before we start cycling.

We got to the booth that rents bicycles .... $8 per bike per night ... they gave us bicycles according to gender ... :0 .... interesting ... remember the olden days bicycle ... the girls got the normal bicycles with basket in the front and the guys .. the bicycle with palang (metal bar) in the front ... we had both types at home plus Dad's "Mercedes Benz" for his heavy duty work.

Anyway, after checking the bicycles, the lights ... we are off! Think it was about 9pm .... East Coast was packed with people and activities .... families having BBQ, camping, love doves all over, young people skating .... jogging .... perhaps it's a Friday ... but the park sure looks crowded with people ...



We has our first stop over in Bedok Jetty ... and boy the jetty is also packed with people and families! Families literally gather with babies and all ... fishing ... picnic .. cooking .... It's a nice sight ... and reminds me much of kampong lifestyle where communal living is the way of life. We left the Jetty at 1030pm and Kok Eng said "the night is still young".... :0...



So, off we go .... enjoying the ride ... the breeze ... the moonlight ... the sound of the waves! The smell of nature after fresh showers of rain along the path next to Changi Airport. The sound of nature ... Enqi said "I dare not think what is behind the trees and the woods" ... this location in Singapore, I don't think there are tigers but perhaps snakes (for sure) and wild boars (perhaps)..

God is good to us .... initially it drizzled a little just before we reach East Coast but He kept the rain away ... bathe us in moon light .... protected us from serious injury .... and used us to bless another group of boys whose team member injured his toe. We met on the way back with antiseptic and yellow solution ...

By the time we reach Changi Village all I can think of is 'icekacang' .... ooo ... something cold ..

We reached Changi Village close to 12 ... 1130pm perhaps. Yu Yi came all the way fater his work to join us ... just for the fellowship ..that was nice of him ...



From makan fellowship, we then get to the nearby beach, sat around a mini round a bout uder coconut trees ... and shared ... I talked the most I guess ... shared what I will go after TTC .... we then prayed for one another ... what I see is a group of young people in their growing process into adulthood and it is my prayer that I hope to meet them again .. soon... perhaps one year down the road .. to see them still strong and growing in the love for God in their life journey...

And as I reflect ... this is a special night .. its almost like a farewell fun fellowship night for me just before I officially leave GCM .... where I spent 1.5yrs there for my FE. I have to say that our friendship took some time to warm up and from the 1.5yrs, I have seem growth in their lives! Keep growing .... and rooted in Him!

Now.... after the ice kacang ... the nasi lemak ... the ikan bakar .. the fellowship ... we need to cycle our way back ... wah ... and its oledi 130am ...

So, we cycle ... and cycle we did for 2.5hrs before we reach back in East Coast ... wahh ... backside flat ... whole body kaku (stiff) .... but ..... S Y O K is the feeling ...

We are super blessed with Kok Eng who from Bedok detoured to back to our church ... he cycled all the way to church to get the van to pick us up .... so that we do not have to cycle back to church and cycle back to return the bikes in the morning! Bravo to our brother who had to carry his bicycle up and down the overhead bridge ... this is indeed sacrificial love ... for the YAF ... so, team .... 10yrs down the road ... hope you'll remember Kok Eng and do the same for the upcoming YAF group that you will mentor too ... :0 ...

By the time we got back to church it was 4am ... I slept .... like a dead log through the noise, through my own smelly sweat smell and some one's snore ...--- everyone showered except me ... hahhaha .... cannot move even an inch ... off cos la .. that also m the oldest in the group .... we slept on kinddy tables ... hahaha ... so long never had this kind of "rough it out" experience ...

We had breakfast together before we ended our fun time out ... :) .... can do this again .... syok!

This is what Singaporeans do for recreation ..... and I think its fun and good ... they have the facility of pavements for cycling and the pavements are brightly lilted with street lamps and not to mention .... security ... I think it is definitely safe compared to Msia ....

Thanks for organizing this fun night our and for your fellowship!

2 comments:

AJ7 said...

Cycling in Singapore is quite fun. I did a bit of it when I was there with my bro. Walking there is fun too....not as hot as I imagined.

ing said...

i kampung la ... my 1st time ... hehehe .. yea .. this place is done up for walks and cycling ...