Thursday, September 30, 2010

.. Famous Amos Cookies and I ...

Every time I look at the my blog's new skin ... it reminds me of my favorite cookie .... Amos Famous Cookies ... yes ... I know ... its called Famous Amos and not the other way round ... but from the first time till now .. I have always known it as Amos Famous .... somehow I always have a soft spot for Amos ... be it the cookie .... or the book in the Bible ... have not found a man called Amos though ... :0 ...

Anyway ... I was first introduced to Amos way back in 1980s ... I was living my Cousin Eng Hor's house in Taman Hijau. At that time, she was working and living in KL .. so every time when she comes back, she will buy 300 or 500g of the cookies.This started a life long romance with Amos Famous. I love the precious cookies so much that I had to even finish the crumbs!!! They just melt in your mouth! At that time, Eng Hor already told me briefly about the history of Amos ... most importantly , its freshly hand made cookies ....

My favorite type is the macadamia nuts! Yummy!!!

Then when I started my second job ... it was in Sg Wang Plaza ...guess what's in the 2nd floor of SWP -- yes ... its Amos!!!! You can smell it from miles!!!! So, every day I smell Amos ... hehhehe .... I believe that it produces the best Amos ... cos the turn over is very high for this outlet ... after leaving SWP, there was a season I went crazy after Amos (actually I will buy 300- 500g of it and claim it under dinner bill from the company -imagine how many kilos of Amos I accumulated in 1 week's outstation trip in KL.. hehehe) ... that I will go either Section 14 Asia Jaya (now the building is demolished) .. or Subang Parade or Mid Valley's outlet. But I find that the Subang Parade's outlet not so nice .. no wonder my size so cute now .....

Coming to JB .. there is no Amos outlets ... imagine that .. but when it first open in Senai Airport ... I actually drove all the way just to buy myself a packet .... in the the inflated airport rate!!!

O yes .. I will also make Shally buy them every time she comes back to JB from KL .... and off course ... there was once she bought and did not manage to see me ... guess who finish ALL my cookies ....its non other than Famous Ms Dorithy Tay!!!

When m Spore ..... there is Amos outlets --- the one that always entice me is in John Little of Orchard.... but bit ex la ... so my dear nieces (especially Nee) and SM will buy them for me ... every time I go back Sban!

Yes, Amos and I have come a long way ..... in fact, some years back when I was still in KL, Susie gave me the recipe .... since I cant bake ... I pass it to SM ... she bakes them for me!!! Off cos, not only for me la ... all the kids also chiang eat them!!!!

Below is a brief history of my favorite cookie which I took from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Amos

Wally Amos, an Air Force veteran who worked as a talent agent with the William Morris Agency, would send home-baked chocolate chip cookies to celebrities to entice them to meet with him and maybe sign a deal to be represented by the William Morris company. Amos grew up in the State capitol of Florida, born in Smokey Harlem of Tallahassee, FL and graduated from Lincoln High School in the 1940s.

On March 10, 1975, Amos took the advice of some friends and opened a cookie store in Los Angeles, California, naming it "Famous Amos". In the first year he sold $300,000 worth of cookies, followed by more than $1,000,000 in sales in the store's second year of operation.

The store proved so popular that the "Famous Amos" brand eventually branched out to sell cookies in supermarkets, a move that would later be emulated by other specialty stores like as Baskin Robbins, T.G.I. Fridays, and Starbucks.

The Famous Amos brand has gone through a number of owners since inception. Between 1985 and 1989, the Famous Amos company went through four different owners. In 1992 the President Baking Company purchased the brand from The Shansby Group. Then, in 1998 Keebler foods purchased the President Baking Company. It was then owned by Keebler Foods until the Kellogg Company purchased Keebler in 2001. The brand is now a part of Kellogg's Company.

Wally Amos has created another brand of cookie called "Chip and Cookie", named after two characters he created in the 1980s. The Chip and Cookie brand is owned by Wally himself, and has a slightly different recipe than that of the Kellogg's variation.

p/s : didn't know till now that Chip & Cookie is made by Amos ... no wonder I LOVE it too ..... especially the soft cookies .... found them in Cold Storage next to TTC .... ex ... like Sin5.95 for a small packet of it ....

3 comments:

PreciousPearl said...

yup, definitely 100% fattening :D

Sia Mooi said...

how come i have no memories at all about enghor buying d cookies for us? Just got a bag for d kids yesterday...u know la...low yat n bb plaza memang got many amos kedai.

ing said...

PP - now u know y i so "cute" ... years of amos .... hahahha

SM : maybe cos every time she buy i finish it??? hahahha ... it was that time when we were staying together with CK ... and her 1st son also comes back once while ...