Wednesday, January 26, 2011

...more pre-CNY thoughts ...

I was just thinking last week that my 1st CNY as a TTC student was celebrated without 2nd Uncle, my 3rd CNY as a TTC student was spent without 6th uncle and this year, 1st year in ministry after TTC is spend without Aunty. I was just thinking of how Joan and family will cope their 1st CNy without Aunty ... how they feel coming back to an empty home and have to clean the home so that they have beds to zzz in (cos Aunty will normally be home early to ensure house is clean) ... how would they have their CNY lunch/dinner as its always Aunty who prepares and plans the menu (i think or at least I see her preparing) ... how would they have their family altar ... and off cos ... the memories of last CNY with Aunty ...

Just as I was having these thoughts, news broke that CC is having breast CA and will be going for op tomorrow ... WOW ... this is a big blow to us ... or to me as I count ... she is the 6th person in our family (Yu side) who is attacked by CA, 4 of Mom's generation, 1 from our generation and 1 from the my next generation .... its going be the 1st CNY CC going to spent away from kampong in the past 10yrs (I think) she's been back serving in Spore .. and its really the 1st CNY she's going to be spending not preparing anything for CNY but herself to regain her physical health.

CNY at CC's open house
Rber my 2nd CNY in TTC ... few days just before CNY ... CC and I dashed to Chinatown for last minute shopping .... it was a Wed I recall cos I missed Cluster Vesper and the hanging of lanterns along our cluster corridor which Angie will insist of doing (thanks Angie) ... CC and I was grabbed a few CNY clothes .. that's when I got my denim jacket ... we had fun rushing with the crowd like some aunties shopping .... :0 ...

Every CNY, CC will have open house for students ... and every year, I (as her student off cos ... and an international student in TTC) will go to her house for CNY .. she will prepare LOTS of cookies, CNY goodies like nian kau and a huge pot of scallop rice porridge (its the best!) .... and sometimes ang chew mi suah ...

SM's cookies last year ... my fav cookie .. this year I get keropok instead ... la la
This year, CNY is going to be different for many of us .... typically, SM and sis normally is in charge of baking cookies ... sis .. - her famous nian kau and 8 delight platter (glutinous rice) which she does it with the help of Vincent and bro in law .... and I will normally handle the cooking ... but as years go by, I become more and more lazy ... which reminds me .. wonder when will my next generation of 3 pretties start preparing and cooking for CNY ... so that I can retire or be promoted to do supervisory job ...

30th day lunch ... I have been changing my routine past few years -- sometimes sister's place ... think there was once in Dad's place ... this year ... I have not thought of it yet ... 1st day ... I will start cooking ... light ... cos the real CNY will start when SM gets home .... then, we will start cooking major .... like real reunion dinner .. I used to say that my CNY only starts on 2nd day when SM comes home ... and when Dan & Lyn were younger, it was even more fun cos then the older cousins will come over and play fire crackers with them (supplied by Ong2 piu-win) ... o yea ... one CNY, we had Ong's wedding ... that was a biz CNY .. :0 ...

We will also have the huge Yu family gathering in 6th Uncle's house on 2nd day CNY .... the tradition changed since 6th uncle has left us. Our family over in Yvr ... Kor and Nee Chia will fon to wish all of us Happy CNY ... and though they have to hold their CNY meal till the weekend since CNY is just any other ordinary day for them ... Mom and Dad gets excited receiving their call this time of the year ...

So ... this CNY is a gentle reminder to me that its really God's grace that I can still celebrate it with Mom and Dad .... it's really great that our family is still together ... healthy ... its really God's grace that we still have one another ... so, its a time to appreciate family ... one another ... take time to enjoy one another and make special effort to create memories so that we can still carry them in our hearts when one of us leaves ....

This CNY ..datang-la beramai ke rumah Nguima/Ama .... let's just enjoy each other and take photos ... as memories .... OK .. take pix and "fellowship" ... this year, there is additional member in our family ... Wesley Pang ... super cute .. sure kena "dera" by "old" aunties and young "uncles and aunties" :0 .... Its an honor to cook for my family who enjoys my cooking ... only hope that I can adjust the taste well since I have not cooked for a long time ... :0 ...


taken many CNYs ago ...

No comments: