Sunday, October 21, 2012

Nestorian Tablets : Traces of Gospel thru Silk Road

I first heard of the Nestorians and their travel when I did my Church History II. I was very fascinated by it, in fact I think I wrote a paper on it ....

Anyway .... cos of my knowledge of it .... I made my way to see the tablets for myself .... the tablets is found in a former Confusion Temple. Like any other China history and museums ... it has lots of relics that display the richness of the history of China .... but ... too bad ... my knowledge of China history is still very surface and not enough to appreciate its richness ... off course its also hampered by Cina-buta huruf ....

Walked into the first few halls .... filled with statues of Buddha through the centuries ... a few statues were of Hindu gods ... I have not seen so many types of Buddha statues before. What was amazing was that many of the statues that was found and restored .... the heads of the statues are missing or blown off ... its like God hates idols and destroy it.

After walking around for awhile ... I decided to head directly to the hall that home the Nestorian tablet since I do not really know how to appreciate the other display and my not knowing how to read Chinese did not help ... off course I was also hard pressed by time as well.

After looking at the tablet, I enjoyed and appreciate the Chinese paints that hung along the corridor ... :0 and after that I had very late lunch and rushed off the look for The Great Mosque in the Muslim Street .... I cant seem to find my direction and my feet was killing me, I decided to hail a local tut-tut .... the man charged me RB20 .... but it is actually RB5 or at most RB10 .. I know its a bit high but since my feet was tired ... I took the ride. What a ride!!!! That man .... just drove through the traffic and I had to pray all the way for God's protection --- O man ... dont let the bus hit me .... I dont want to land up in a hospital in China ... sadly ... the driver did not only conned my money but also the direction .... he dropped me off in the end of Muslim street and gave me the opposite direction that I need to walk to look for the mosque.... this is China ... and this is the China culture ... sadly ....


No comments: